Sealcoating 101

 

614-500-SEAL / 614-500-7325

 

What you should know about your Driveway Sealcoating


***IMPORTANTANT***

PLEASE DON’T DRIVE ON YOUR NEWLY SEALCOATED DRIVEWAY FOR 24-48 HOURS:

Drying and curing are two different terms. It is very important to understand the difference. Under normal conditions the sealer will dry to the touch in acouple of hours. The entire curing process can take up to six weeks as the product hardens. These times will vary based on temperature, humidity, rain and the amount of direct sunlight the area receives. Under most circumstances normal use can resume after 24-48 hours.

 

HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU HAVE YOUR DRIVEWAY SEALCOATED?

Every one to three years. Many factors must be considered including the number of coats initially applied, amount of traffic and exposure to deteriorating elements such as temperature, humidity, water and sunlight. Too much sealer is detrimental because sealer buildup will cause surface cracks throughout the pavement. As a general rule of thumb – when the sealcoat starts losing its color and is starting to fade back to a light black or grayish color it is time to call us to reseal your driveway.

 

WHY DO YOU SEE TIRE AND BRUSH MARKS ON YOUR DRIVEWAY AFTER BEING SEALED?

This is actually normal and the tire/brush marks will eventually go away. When the sealer is applied on a hot surface the portion of the sealer touching the driveway can dry immediately then the hot sun beaming down on the surface of the sealer can flash dry it as well leaving water trapped in the middle. These conditions combined with turning the wheels of your car when it is not moving or possibly maneuvering the car to get into the garage can lead to tire marks. The good news is that you received a high-quality coat of sealer and it is a good thing you are seeing these marks. A low-quality product with a high amount of water won’t leave tire or brush marks but a quality sealer with a high solids content, (the protective covering left on your asphalt after the water dissipates) under the above conditions, can leave these tire marks. Try to minimize hard turns and turning your tires when the vehicles are not in motion. Approximately 90% of the curing process takes place within the first 24-48 hours after application. The remaining 10% can take several weeks.

 

WHAT IF IT RAINS RIGHT AFTER YOUR DRIVEWAY IS SEALCOATED?

We monitor weather conditions to try to avoid this but as we all know, forecasting the weather is no more than an educated guess. Typically, after an hour or two, rain won’t adversely affect the sealer. If a shower washes away any sealer, we will touch-up or re-seal depending on the damaged area, at no additional cost to you. We cannot however, be responsible for any damage that will occur over time due to rain.

 

DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS?

We want to hear from you. If you have any questions, concerns or even compliments, just give us a call. We will do our very best to address any and all questions or concerns as quickly as possible. Our customers are important to us. We will not leave you without support after we service your driveway.